[Frugalware-devel] GUI Installer

Cory Burgett cmburget at ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 24 03:54:36 CEST 2008

IMHO GUI installers are unnecessary.  However, I think the current
installer is very buggy.  Moreover, I think some scripting language
would be more suited for implementing an installer, given that the
installation is largely a batch job anyway.  Shell (mostly bash)
installers have worked -- and continue to work -- very well for many
distros for a long time (Slackware and Arch, for example, among others).
The C installer is much larger and more complicated than an installer
needs to be, and while it appears to be well designed, it is
unnecessarily complex and therefore bug-prone and difficult to maintain.

Just my two cents (increasingly valuable thanks to gasoline prices).

--
Cory Burgett
~