[Frugalware-devel] Ideas for 1.0 (long)

VOROSKOI Andras voroskoi at frugalware.org
Sun Sep 28 12:19:49 CEST 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 02:20:07AM +0200, Miklos Vajna wrote:
> 2) The sysvinit-translations one is bigger, it means that we have to
> rewrite the remaining old-style init scripts, but I don't think that's a
> bad idea: many of them lack support for the status command such.
> (Probably we'll need to build a checklist so that we have to check each
> init script only once.)

Objection here. I think we should switch to upstart sooner or later so
this would be a temporary solution which does not worth the work.

> 5) We added hook support for pacman-g2 in 0.8, and we use it for some
> eye-candy stuff, but we could use it to do several other tasks as well.
>
> I mean, you remember that we update /usr/share/info/dir several times
> during a -Syu, right?

I like this one.

> 6) Monit support in daemons
>
> This is not that important but it would be nice. Monit is (interesting,
> heh?) a monitoring software. Typical use cases are: restarting sshd if
> somehow it failed, checking if a given service listens on a given port,
> etc.

Restarting should be done by the init system. Anyway, monitoring support
would be good, but what about zabbix? So why should we prefer monit?

> 8) fpm archive
>
> We traditionally remove fpms when we upload a new version of the given
> package, but this is not really necessary, now that we have a lot of
> disk space. We could just move them to some archive folder, like we do
> already for the fpmjunk script (mostly to avoid accidental removal of
> all packages :) ).
>
> So, the idea would be to change repoman del not to delete packages but
> move them to a separate archive, where they are still available.

Well, usually newer packages are better too, but for safety reasons it
worth keeping those packages for a few weeks or so.

--
voroskoi