[Frugalware-devel] Fwd: wrong link in recent Frugalware newsletters

Russell Dickenson russelldickenson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 05:15:15 CEST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Russell Dickenson <russelldickenson at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Frugalware-devel] wrong link in recent Frugalware newsletters
To: Uwe Stöhr <uwestoehr at web.de>

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Uwe Stöhr<uwestoehr at web.de> wrote:
> Russell Dickenson schrieb:
>
>> Third - Do you enjoy reading the newsletter?  If you do, are there any
>> parts that you enjoy more than others?  Is there anything missing from
>> the newsletter that you wish could be added?
>
> The newsletters are informative as they should be.
> The announcements are in contrary often much less useful. Taking for example
> http://frugalware.org/news/142
> One can there read:
>
> # Improvements:
>    * Etoile is now part of the repository, see this post for more details.
>    * Major update on the graphical installer (fwife), see the changelog here
> and there.
>
> You are talking about a graphical installer but refer to an SVN commit that
> is not human-readable. Informative advertising would be to add an image and
> link a Wiki page where the new features are visually shown (screenshots,
> illustrations). Compare Frugalware's announcements for example with those of
> KDE, Gnome, etc.

Thanks.  I'm always trying to improve the newsletter and your comments
are very useful.

> The most worse announcement was this one:
> http://frugalware.org/news/129
>
> Reading this, why the hell should I use Frugalware? What are the new
> features, what has been fixed? I mean you are announcing version 1.0 of an
> open source software!
> For big releases it would not harm to list in shorten also the benefits of
> Frugalware compared to other Linux distributions.

We don't do a lot of marketing, but I agree that it would help to
highlight the benefits of Frugalware with each release.

> regards Uwe

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.

May you always be Frugal,

Russell Dickenson (AKA phayz)

Uwe asked that I forward his feedback to the Frugalware developers mailing list.