[Frugalware-devel] Frugalware's documentation

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Fri Feb 27 01:03:39 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:30:44AM +1000, Russell Dickenson <russelldickenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I would say first please send the patches to the list, so Michel can
> > comment them, but after a few good patches of course you can push
> > directly.
>
> I forgot that in fact I don't have authority to push directly to the
> "current" git repo, so there's no danger there.  :)   I'll send these
> patches via email to this list so that they can be reviewed.  So
> things don't get too complicated, I'll send one patch per email
> message.

Thanks. BTW technically you have write access to all repo, because so
far it did not make sense to limit access to a given repo.

> After thinking about working on the Frugalware documentation for more
> than 12 months, I have decided that my approach is going to be -
> (1) do minimal editing, correcting grammatical mistakes, rewording
> phrases which are unclear etc.  Of course there's not much to do
> there;

Given that you are native, your such corrections are highly appreciated.

> (2) propose a restructuring of the documentation  to form a more
> complete user's guide, possibly also a separate developer's guide.
> The user's guide would be a guide to Frugalware, not an introductory
> guide to Linux for newbies, possibly something like the following:
>
> Ubuntu Desktop Guide
> https://help.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html
>
> Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference
> http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index2.html
>
> Please tell me if you have any objections to this approach.

Actually we already have such a split-up, see index-user.txt and
index-devel.txt. The chapters are individual txt files and they are
included in the user, devel or both category.

Of course the parts can be improved and new chapters can be added. I
guess what you could improve is more the user than the devel part. :)

I think a good example is that personally I did not really had to help
Gholafox or Elentir regarding development questions - but that may be
because they got help on #frugalware.fr, I don't know. ;)