[Frugalware-devel] Cracked mirrors?

Russell Dickenson russelldickenson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 03:03:35 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Miklos Vajna<vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 08:26:41AM +1000, Russell Dickenson <russelldickenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've noticed via both pacman-g2's behaviour and mirmon statistics that
>> several mirrors are either no longer available or long out of date.
>> I'm embarrassed that the Australian mirror is one of these.  I've
>> tried and failed to contact the mirror's administrator.
>>
>> Should we try to get some new mirrors?  I'm not sure how to do this,
>> but I'll try to contact a few Australian ISPs and see if they'd be
>> willing to help.
>
> Please don't feed the trolls, "cracked" sounds like we are talking about
> a security problem while we are just talking about a few no longer or
> not properly functioning mirrors, which are way different topics. :)

I apologise.  Sometimes I fail to think of Frugalware's reputation and
this was one of those occasions.  I was perhaps still in "newsletter"
mode.

> As always, if there are failing mirrors and the contacts can't bring
> them alive, then we can try to find new ones, but I don't think the
> situation is that poor, after all the majority of mirrors are still
> up to date.

I guess I was thinking "If mirrors A, B and C are no longer active,
perhaps they should be removed from the mirrors list".  Personally I
haven't had any trouble in downloading packages, just a slight delay
while it tries those which are not current.  Of course I can remove
these from my the mirrors list on my PC, and probably will do shortly.

> Thanks.

You're welcome, but I'm not sure why you're thanking me.  :(  As I
said above, I'll be more careful with public email messages in future.

May you always be Frugal,

Russell Dickenson (AKA phayz)