[Frugalware-devel] i686 and PAE.

CSÉCSY László boobaa at frugalware.org
Sat Apr 23 21:16:13 CEST 2011

2011.04.23. 19:33:49-kor Daniel Exner írta:
> crazy told me it is possible to use a 64-bit Kernel while still maintaining
> 32-bit userland.
>
> Just grab the 64-bit kernel fpm's and install them using -U and ignore arch
> :)
I was running my primary desktop like this for a month or so, and I can
confirm that this (mostly) works.

> One drawback: from now on you will have to use ignore-arch on any pacman
> install :(
There are other drawbacks. You won't be able to use virtualbox/vmware-player
or such, since their gui needs to be in sync with their kernel module: if you
have x86_64 kernel, you have to compile 64-bit vbox modules, but you won't be
able to use it, since your vbox gui still needs to be 32-bit because your
userland is 32-bit. I haven't been fiddling with vmware-player in that month,
though; most likely the result would have been the same.

> My suggestion would therefore not be PAE, but change the behaviour of
> pacman/kernel fpms to not force this.
Well, pacman-g2's "ensure that your fpms' arch matches your kernel's arch"
default behaviour is to prevent shooting yourself in your leg. If it wouldn't
check the arch, you should be the one who does it, and keep in mind which
package needs to be what arch – which would be simply a nightmare, I think.
Anyway, pacman-g2 does let you shoot yourself in your leg, but it needs to be
explicitly told to do so, which is the right behaviour, I think.
--
Bye, Boobaa (CSÉCSY László)
http://csecsy.hu