[Frugalware-devel] phonon backend needed

Marius Cirsta mforce2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 22:43:49 CEST 2011

 There's currently a bug in Frugalware which happend when you try to
shut down the PC from KDE 4 : http://bugs.frugalware.org/task/4423

 I've managed to track it down to a missing phonon backend problem. By
default all KDE packages that need phonon depend on it directly. This
causes no backend to be installed. The problem is that since no phonon
backend is installed KDE fails to play the logout sound. Due to poor
coding this also causes the shutdown to just hang.

 The problem might be found in other places too and having phonon with
no backend installed is clearly a bug as no sound can be played.

 I was wondering if you have any ideas on how to fix this. I see two
possibilities :

1) Replace the dependency on phonon with a dependency on
phonon-backend-xine in every FrugalBuild

2) Make phonon a fake package ( meta package  ?  ) to install
phonon-base ( current phonon package ) and phonon-backend-xine. The
backend to be installed by default cand thus be configured in a single
place and can be modified at any time. Also multiple phonon backends
could be chosen to be installed by default.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.