[Frugalware-devel] phonon backend needed

Michel Hermier hermier at frugalware.org
Sun Apr 24 10:56:31 CEST 2011

> 2011.04.23. 22:43:49-kor Marius Cirsta írta:
>>  There's currently a bug in Frugalware which happend when you try to
>> shut down the PC from KDE 4 : http://bugs.frugalware.org/task/4423
>>
>>  I've managed to track it down to a missing phonon backend problem. By
>> default all KDE packages that need phonon depend on it directly. This
>> causes no backend to be installed. The problem is that since no phonon
>> backend is installed KDE fails to play the logout sound. Due to poor
>> coding this also causes the shutdown to just hang.
> I don't know if there is (or there could be) any other phonon backend
> besides
> xine, but let's assume that's there is/could be. This reminds me the case
> of
> hunspell: it's useless without a dictionary, but there could be any of the
> dictionaries installed. To solve this the hunspell package (ro)depends on
> hunspell-dict, which is only a fake/meta package: all the hunspell
> dictionaries (hunspell-en, hunspell-hu, hunspell-de, etc.) provide(s)
> hunspell-dict. So "pacman-g2 -S hunspell" does bring up at least one
> dictionary, which makes hunspell usable.

Technically there should be a default backend, that is unsplittable from
phonon. It is the ??? backend. I disabled it on purpose, because I smell
binaries problems in a near future. That said yes, maybe we should provide
a default backend to avoid this bug, but I would prefer that bug to be
solved cleanly by upstream.

>>  The problem might be found in other places too and having phonon with
>> no backend installed is clearly a bug as no sound can be played.
> I think something like this could be done for the aforementioned phonon
> vs.
> xine (and/or other backend/s) scenario as well.

Even thought it is a bug/issue that sound couldn't be played, it should
not stopper/blocker for me. I mean Even if sound notification don't work,
it should not make the program crash/hang or what ever than by-pass the
notification being not done.