[Frugalware-devel] phonon backend needed

CSÉCSY László boobaa at frugalware.org
Sun Apr 24 17:24:16 CEST 2011

2011.04.24. 14:19:24-kor Marius Cirsta írta:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Michel Hermier <hermier at frugalware.org>
wrote:
> > Technically there should be a default backend, that is unsplittable from
> > phonon. It is the ??? backend. I disabled it on purpose, because I smell
> > binaries problems in a near future. That said yes, maybe we should
> > provide a default backend to avoid this bug, but I would prefer that bug
> > to be solved cleanly by upstream.
>
> Well the way I see it phonon is pretty much useless unless there's a
> proper backend to play the sounds so one really should be installed.
(…)

> > Even thought it is a bug/issue that sound couldn't be played, it should
> > not stopper/blocker for me. I mean Even if sound notification don't work,
> > it should not make the program crash/hang or what ever than by-pass the
> > notification being not done.
>
> I fully agree with this , and it'a serious issue. There are several
> bugs opened for this problem in the KDE bugtracker but I don't know
> when or if the problem will be fixed. I might take a look at the code
> myself and see if I can do something about it.
>
> It's a serious bug when not being able to play a sound stops the PC
> from shutting down, it should be fixed, no question about that. Still
> the problem will remain that KDE won't have a phonon backend and won't
> be able to play any system sounds. Let's say a user just does pacman
> -S kde , he expects it to be fully working , system sounds included.
> Sure he might get a message from KDE that it wasn't able to play
> system sounds because no phonon backend was installed. He'd then have
> to find a Phonon backend in Frugalware and install it manually, pretty
> complicated in my opinion.
Though I fully understand your arguments about the correct way of solving this
issue (to sum up: "let upstream do so"), from a user's point of view (and I
count myself as a user, too, since I don't know anything about KDE's
internals, source and whatnot) this is a bug in Frugalware that could be
easily solved (the correct term would be "worked around", but whatever), but
we, the Frugalware developers have not solved it since more than two months
(considering #4423's opening date).

So: let's work it around by adding phonon-backend-xine to the depends array of
the kde-whatnot package ASAP (Hermier, which one would be the best? kdebase
itself, or phonon, or…?), considering it a temporary quickfix, and let's
correct it later on when (and if) upstream finally solves it in a technically
acceptable manner.

Wouldn't it be a bit better for all of us, both Frugalware developers _and_
users of Frugalware?
--
Bye, Boobaa (CSÉCSY László)
http://csecsy.hu