[Frugalware-devel] add default phonon backend

Marius Cirsta mforce2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 13:34:17 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Michel Hermier <hermier at frugalware.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 12:12 AM, Michel Hermier <hermier at frugalware.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Upstream said null backend is unsuported (yet).
>>> Ihought I decided to choose a different approch. I made the rodepends in
>>> the phonon user (libknotify) and not in phonon itself to give us a
>>> chance
>>> to not have premature hidden dependecies to the backend dependencies.
>>> So now only the move of phonon-backend-xine is left.
>>>

>>  Sounds pretty much OK to me. So the next step would be to move the
>> rodepends to the phonon package itself ?
>
> No, the second step is only to move phonon-backend-xine out of -extra.
>
>>  I'm not really sure what you mean by premature hidden dependecies.
>> How can those be detected with the current change ?
>
> It can't be detected yet, but it's a question of packaging logic.
> Since I don't want all the packages that depends on phonon to see that
> xine is automagically added, because It needs a default backend, I have to
> move the depends in some of it's dependencies. It as 2 adventages.
> - The backend is really added when/where needed (and since real phonon
> user are low it's not really a matter).
> - All the package that needs phonon, see xine later. That means, if we
> change the default phonon package, we don't have to add xine in rodepends
> just in case some hidden dependency become visible.

 OK but I have a question here. What if I just install Amarok and not
KDE ? Will it add a phonon backend ? If not Amarok won't work, I mean
it won't play any sound which is not good for a music player.
 I think I understand what you mean now. Let's say package C depends
on package B that depends on Phonon. User wants to add package C , it
will pull in Phonon which will then pull in the xine backend which you
would like to avoid, right ?
 But then another backend would have to be explicitly installed if
Phonon is going to be of any use, otherwise it just won't work.

>>  Oh and thanks.
>
> No Problem (thought, I would have prefered to have phonon allowing null
> backend and not barfing on the floor like a dumb)

 I don't think null backend or pulseaudio backend would be an option.
That's because phonon is designed to work with a valid backend that
will do the playback itself. Without it it just won't play any audio ,
it's just a (really) dumb wrapper unfortunately.