[Frugalware-devel] [TODO 1.5 Mores] UTF-8 by default ?

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Sun Jun 12 01:59:02 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 08:22:04AM +0200, Devil505 <devil505linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Possible, but don't think it'll be trivial. Or do you plan to leave
> > setup console unchanged? What about config tools, does netconfig &
> > friends look OK on utf8 console? I guess they'll have to be rebuilt
> > against libncursesw (currently they are linked against libncurses), etc.
> >

> I can try but give me a plan with what I am supposed to do :)

It's probably a task more for somebody familiar with setup hacking.
src/plugins/asklang.c in setup.git defines LANG and LC_ALL based on the
user selection, ie fr_FR, hu_HU, etc.

That should be changed to fr_FR.utf8 (untested, but I guess so), and
first setup itself, then the installed system should be checked if
accents are still proper.

Work on this right now is appreciated, but I don't think we should do
this change before 1.5, we already have a bunch of large-scale changes
since 1.4.

Thanks.