[Frugalware-devel] corrupted archive

Marius Cirsta mforce2 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 01:20:12 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 2:01 AM, Miklos Vajna <vmiklos at frugalware.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 09:29:18AM -0600, Marius Cirsta <mforce2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Wouldn't it be possible to somehow impose an increase of either the
>> pkgver or pkgrel ? I mean if you do update a package you should
>> probably increase one of these. Maybe the build machine could check
>> this ? Or maybe on commit but I'm not sure ....
>
> Given how rare such problems are, I would not force such a check. Just
> think about for example a description correction of the kernel package.
> If you force pkgrel++, then you need to rebuild all external modules as
> well - while currently we have the option to say "this is a minor
> change, it's enough if it'll be included in the next build".
>
> Again, to have this problem, a developer has to intentionally upload the
> same package release two times with different contents, that's rare. I'm
> sure Melko already learned he won't do this next time, no need to blame
> him, he's a great guy. :)

 It wasn't my intention to blame him at all, on the contrary, I think
he's doing a great job. Just recently he pointed to a mistake that I
made.

 Still, rare as these problems are, this is debatable. Maybe there
should be something to protect against this. It was a very strange
error and it could be very hard for some people to figure it out. At
least a helpful message or something would be nice.
 I remember I kept trying to download the package over and over again
because it said it was corrupted which wasn't exactly right...  It's
not that I can't solve this problem now but for a new user it might be
hard and it might make a bad impression when you can't even get the
package manager to install a package.
 I'm not sure I understood this correctly but if I did then a possible
solution would be to generate a file when a corrupted archive is found
with the name of that archive. Any other tries to install it should
then default to pacman -Syy. Upon success the file would be deleted.
This is just an idea, I don't know pacman internals ....