[Frugalware-devel] A few questions about Frugalware

Miklos Vajna vmiklos at frugalware.org
Mon Mar 7 16:37:10 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 03:17:47PM +0000, Ananda Samaddar <ananda.samaddar at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> I have a few questions and I thought I'd ask you as the mailing lists
> look quiet!

Yeah, if you want to ask from developers, the best is to use the -devel
list. We have a forums as well, but most developers sadly do not have
time to read it.

> 1.  Does Frugalware GPG sign binary packages so I can check their
> authenticity?

Nope - at the moment we just store SHA1 of the packages, to avoid
accidental corruptions. Patches are welcome to improve that in
pacman-g2, it would not be too hard to use gpgv for this, if one needs
it.

> 2.  How do I run 32 bit apps on 64 bit Frugalware?  I need to use
> Citrix client to connect to my University's remote access server.

I'm not on x86_64, so no personal experience here, though there are two
methods I heard others use:

1. emul32-tools:

http://ftp.frugalware.org/pub/other/emul32-tools/emul32-tools/README.Frugalware

2. an i686 fwchroot:

< see the -stable-iso directory on the mirrors >

> 3.  Is it generally easy to port PKGBUILDS from Arch to Frugalware?

I think so, the basics are the same. See man fwmakepkg on the available
macros, though.

> 4.  Is the FST Frugalware's version of Arch's ABS?

Yep, something similar, except that it's a git repo - anyone is welcome
to clone it and send patches to the -devel list. So we recommend users
to send in new packages as patches, instead of sharing them elsewhere
(so we do not build something like AUR).

> I really hate Arch's poor security and I'm looking at moving to
> Frugalware.  I can already build and package stuff on Arch so if I do
> move to Frugalware I may volunteer to become a packager and/or do
> security updates!

That sounds great - see here:

http://frugalware.org/docs/security

If you have time to read secunia / oss-security and prepare patches that
fixes security issues in our packages, that's more than welcome! We do
it of course ourselves as well, but the main security guy we had was
voroskoi@ and he has little time to backport security fixes from
-current to -stable at the moment. (boobaa@ takes care of most
web-related secfixes and I do pay attention to kernel, but more love
would be indeed wonderful.)

Thanks.