[Frugalware-forums] Installation Issues

Bill BHReach at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 11:50:18 CET 2009

I installed Frugalware 0.9 and there are several stumbling blocks to deal with.

1. I 1st tried installing using the 1st few installation CD's (the computer has no broadband internet connection). Not knowing what I was doing, I checked off to install everything but only used the 1st 3 CD's assuming that after the installation finished, there would be a list (or something) of what was 'missing'. No such luck.

Also, the default X configuration used the vesa driver which could not handle my LCD monitor's native resolution (1440x900). It came up in 800x600. I managed to change it to 1024x768 but it was not centered and part of the screen was off to the left.

2. Next I tried using the DVD's. I again tried installing all the software but the installer never prompted me for the 2nd and 3rd DVD and only installed what was on DVD1 (maybe only some of what is on it). This time it used the nv driver (the graphics adapter is Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS). This was better than the vesa driver, it used the 1440x900 resolution but the the screen is not completely utilized, there is a blank (black) vertical strip about 1 inch (2.5 cm) wide on the right of the screen.

3. I tried choosing individual packages using 'expert' mode but that did not work at all. Nothing was installed and the installation aborted.

It would be nice if the installer kept track of which selected software was installed and what still needs to be installed.

As it is, it installed over 1100 packages. I don't see any simple way to figure out what got installed and what didn't.

It seems to have done a fairly complete install of KDE but only a partial install of Gnome.

I installed all the software as a test to see what would happen. It wasn't what I expected.

I use both KDE and Gnome programs but not those desktops, I prefer icewm (which wasn't installed) and other programs that I use frequently (like gnucash and krusader) were not installed.

What is the easiest way to get a list of applications that were installed (excluding libraries and core commandline tools like ls and cp) and how to find out which DVD's have which programs on them?

There must have been some logic used in grouping the programs on the DVD's, is that documented anywhere?

Bill