[Frugalware-announce] Frugalware 1.0pre1 (Anacreon) released

Miklos Vajna noreply at frugalware.org
Tue Nov 4 01:22:47 CET 2008

The Frugalware Developer Team is pleased to [1] announce the immediate availability of Frugalware 1.0pre1, the first technical preview of
the upcoming 1.0 stable release.
A short and incomplete list of changes since 0.9:

  * Improvements:
	   + The firstFrugalwareInstallerFront-End landed in the package repository. Yes, a graphical one! This means currently
	     you can use it to bootstrap a new Frugalware system from an existing one, but we
	     promise we'll improve in this area. :-)
	   + Initial 'ppc' port. It has been actively tested on Apple boxes: iBook/Power
	     Macintosh models, but IBM hardware is not yet supported (it may or may not
	     work). We also paid special attention to make sure common non-x86 problems, such
	     playing [2] youtube or [3] Java applets work where possible.
	   + The support for having a 32-bit chroot on x86_64 is now arrived. The key package
	     is called emul32-tools. If you run this architecture, check out its [4] documentation !
	   + This release should install and run fine on multiple previously unsupported ASUS
	     Eee PC models, due to the recent installer improvements and the new ath9k
	     driver.

  * Package updates:
	   + Linux 2.6.27 + security fixes
	   + GCC 4.3.2
	   + GNOME 2.24.1
	   + OpenOffice.org 3.0
	   + More than 800 other package updates
	   + More than 80 new packages

Please refer to the Frugalware [5] Anacreon ChangeLog for more information.
Download for i686, x86_64: See our [6] mirror list . Don't forget to check the [7] integrity of the install images before burning!
NOTE: Click [8] here to read more about what media you need for the installation.