[Frugalware-announce] Frugalware 1.3 (Haven) released

Miklos Vajna noreply at frugalware.org
Mon Aug 23 02:00:56 CEST 2010

The Frugalware Developer Team is pleased to [1] announce the immediate availability of Frugalware 1.3, our thirteenth stable release.
No new features have been added since 1.3rc2, but 94 changes have been made to
fix minor bugs. If you didn't follow the changes during the pre/rc releases,
here are the most important changes since 1.1 in no particular order:

  * Updated packages: Linux kernel 2.6.35, Xorg server 1.8, GNOME 2.30, KDE 4.4.5 to
    name a few major components.
  * For the first time in the history of Frugalware Linux, we're offering an
    official graphical netinstall image, search for the "-gui" suffix on the ftp
    mirrors.
  * This time we've verified that no workaround is needed to install this release in
    VMware and because of this, the relevant note is removed from the documentation.
  * The monolithic configuration of XOrg is now split to the [2] xorg.conf.d directory . You can still use the monolithic config, but the config files in the new
    directory have priority. XOrg now also uses udev to detect your hardware
    automatically, /etc/X11/xorg.conf is no longer generated by default.
  * Updated image libraries: [3] libjpeg 8 and [4] libpng 1.4 . While adding support for these new libraries, we touched 1500+ packages, doing
    various minor fixes and improvements [5] here and there .
Please refer to the Frugalware [6] Haven ChangeLog for more information.
Download for i686, x86_64 and ppc: See our [7] mirror list . Don't forget to check the [8] integrity of the install images before burning!
NOTE: Click [9] here to read more about what media you need for the installation.
If you are upgrading to Haven from our previous stable release (Locris), please
read the [10] upgrade part of our documentation.