[Frugalware-announce] Frugalware 1.9pre1 (Arcturus) released

ryuo noreply at frugalware.org
Mon Apr 8 09:09:12 CEST 2013

This is the first preview release of Frugalware 1.9. It also marks the first

      public testing for our new live CD environment, FVBE, and our new
installer<br>
      called fwsetup.

      This has been in development for 8 months already, and is a compilation of
4

      older projects. They are fwlive, setup, fwife, and frugalwareutils. In
this<br>
      new project, they are integrated so they will share a common codebase.
This

      should help avoid the fragmentation like we had with setup and fwife.<br>

      The new installer should be feature complete in terms of replacing the
old<br>
      installer. However, some parts were removed because of disuse or just
plain

      uselessness. And some features are entirely new, such as the keyboard<br>
      layout selection that also configures your X11 XKB layout.

      The main feature that is not yet implemented is a replacement for
netconfig.

      It should be finishd by pre2. There are no other major features planned
for<br>
      the new installer during this release cycle, as the existing stuff needs

      be tested more.<br>

      There has also been changes to what kinds of ISOs we will build from now
on.<br>
      Starting with this release, we will only provide ISOs with packages from
the

      main package groups. Anything from -extra will only be available via
net<br>
      install or after install is complete. By pre2, net install ISOs should
also

      be available.<br>

      Also of interest is that our new ISOs are now using GRUB2 to boot and
no<br>
      longer using isolinux to boot. GRUB2 natively supports BIOS hybrid ISOs

      for our i686 branch and BIOSUEFI hybrid ISOs for our x86_64 branch. UEFI

      mode is only supported for booting at this time, and not for
installation.<br>

      One other thing is that the new installer has been primarily tested on
x86_64<br>
      using the ISO mode of the hybrid ISO. So, we need the most testing on i686

      and USB mode. Any feedback will be examined, to help improve the new<br>
      installer.

      Current known issues include network not working after initial install.

      For now, run netconfig after logging in as root. This should work as a<br>
      temporary fix until we can implement the netconfig replacement.

      To use the new installer, you will need to login as root after the ISO

      boots using the password fvbe. To run the installer, use the command<br>
      fwsetup.

      One final note is that we are looking for someone to design a new 16

      color palette for the new installer. Currently it uses the color<br>
      palette from Mandriva's NEWT patches. If you are interested, then

      contact us on IRC or the forums.<br>

      Download for i686 or x86_64: See our <a href="http:/frugalware.org/download/frugalware-current-iso">mirror list. Don't forget to check the [1] integrity of the install images before burning!<br/>