[Frugalware-announce] Frugalware 1.9 (Arcturus) released

ryuo noreply at frugalware.org
Fri Nov 15 08:54:34 CET 2013

The Frugalware Developer Team is pleased to [1] announce the immediate availability of Frugalware 1.9, our nineteenth stable release.
No new features have been added since 1.9rc2. If you didn't follow the changes
during the pre/rc releases, here are the most important changes since 1.8 in no
particular order:

  * Updated packages: Linux kernel 3.10.17, XOrg server 1.14.2, GNOME 3.8, KDE 4.11,
    LibreOffice 4.1.2.3, Mozilla Firefox 22.0 to name a few major components.
  * netconfig has been replaced by NetworkManager
  * frugalwareutils has been replaced by the new fvbeutils
  * vi binary symlinks are now configurable, used to be hardcoded to their packages
  * old display-manager-legacy.service has been dropped for the new systemd method
    of individual service files
  * console keymaps and x11 keymaps are now managed by the systemd method
Additionally, this marks the first stable release using the new installer that
has been in development for a year already.
      It was redesigned from the bottom up to be more resistant to user errors
and to be more stable. It should be stable enough
      by now for general use. However, at least one major feature of the old
installer is absent from the new one. Network install
      images will not be generated for this release as this feature has not been
reimplemented yet. At present, only 2 image types are
      available. Basic, which contains only packages from base group. Full,
which contains all the packages from the main package groups
      only. From now on, images will not contain packages from any of the -extra
package groups. They will only be available via
      download after the installation is complete. One final note about the
x86_64 images. They support experimental booting on EFI
      systems, but they have no support for installing EFI bootloaders. If you
wish to install to EFI, you will have to skip GRUB2 installation
      and install your own EFI bootloader instead.

      Please refer to the Frugalware [2] Arcturus ChangeLog for more information.
Download for i686, x86_64, and arm: See our [3] mirror list . Don't forget to check the [4] integrity of the install images before burning!
NOTE: Click [5] here to read more about what media you need for the installation.
If you are upgrading to Arcturus from our previous stable release (Cinna),
please read the [6] upgrade part of our documentation.