[Frugalware-forums] Problem with unmuting sound card

Russell Dickenson russelldickenson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 22:53:41 CEST 2010

Since PulseAudio was introduced to Frugalware I have had problems unmuting my sound card. I usually start playing media and find that there is no sound. OK - I usually keep the sound card muted, so I click on the GNOME panel's volume control and unmute it, then adjust the slider to about the level I have often used. There is still no sound, so I start the PulseAudio volume manager (IIRC), click on the Output Devices tab and unmute the output device. That often restores sound but often it doesn't. If I quit from the media player - usually GNOME's default media player, Totem - start it again and replay the media, sound is usually then OK.

My question is simple - how the heck do I reliably unmute my sound card, just as I used to do before PulseAudio was introduced?