[Frugalware-users] Few questions about Frugalware

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Wed Mar 8 06:45:46 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm an Austrian writer living in Montpezat (South France), and a 100%
GNU/Linux user since 2001. (I reckon this is a hungarian distro... if you
wonder about my last name: my family lives in Szentendre - Hungary:oD). I
started out with Slackware 7.1 on an old 486, moved on to faster PCs and to
other distros (Mandrake, Debian, Red Hat, Aurox, Gentoo, Libranet, ...) and
then I came back to Slackware, which I found to be the most simple and
without any problems.

I am going to be sort of the sysadmin for the computers in my little 800-souls
village: town hall, school, public computer room. So I am busy putting
together a "perfect" office and multimedia system, with bells & whistles, and
overall: rock solid.

Currently, I use Slackware 10.2 with a 2.6.14 kernel on my five machines here
at home (mostly Pentium IV). The only *real* problem that I have with
Slackware, and it's getting worse, is the lack of many vital packages. After
a base install of Slackware, I have to manually add something like 150-200
packages, and this is slowly getting over my head: d-bus, hal, pmount,
kdebase recompiled with hal support, gnome libs (40 packages or so!), codecs,
missing Perl modules... Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

So I checked around a bit. I tried the Slackware derivatives (Vector,
Zenwalk), which didn't suit me. I took a look at Archlinux, but the main
problem here is: we don't have fast internet connection in our remote place.
Arch is more or less a "moving target" without such things as a stable
release. But someone on the list suggested I take a look at Frugalware Linux,
so here I am. I read the docs I could find on the site, and I must say that
this really looks interesting. Now I have a few questions, in no particular
order.

1) How well is dbus/hal/pmount/ivman implemented? For example, does it work
out of the box with KDE 3.5.1? On my Slack box, this sort of works, but I
remember I had a hell of a time to make it work.

2) Is it possible to install a minimal set of GNOME libs to run a few apps
like Evince or GnomeMeeting without installing the whole GNOME desktop?

3) Is there some sort of "stable" repository for every release?

4) How about older needed packages? For example, one of my PCs has an older
NVidia video card, which only works with Nvidia drivers up to 7167 and 7664.
More recent drivers will freeze X. Is it possible to install older drivers?
In that case, manually?

5) My old HP Pavilion laptop (Pentium III 933) crashes on X.org 6.8.2, but
works OK with X.org 6.8.1. On my Slack, I just removed X.org with removepkg
and added an older version from Slack 10.1. Are such things possible with
Frugalware?

6) Since I don't have a fast connection... How easy is it to download bigger
packages somewhere where there is a fast connection, make a CD, bring it home
and install it from there?

So much for now. Cheers and see ya soon,

Niki